- Audition Date: January 12th, 2019
- Clinic Date: TBA
Audition RequirementsSenior Region Orchestra
- Scale Requirements: Perform all scales and arpeggios from memory. The tonic may be repeated in each octave. Perform scales as sixteenth notes at a minimum tempo of quarter note = 50. Perform arpeggios the same number of octaves as the corresponding scales, eighth note triplets at a minimum tempo of quarter note = 50.
- Violin: C, G, D, A, B-flat major 3 octaves; F major 2 octaves; any melodic minor of the student’s choice 3 octaves. Slur scales 4 notes per bow and arpeggios 3 notes per bow. VIOLIN SCALES HERE
- Viola: C, G, D, F major 3 octaves; A, B-flat major 2 octaves; any melodic minor of the student’s choice 3 octaves. Slur scales 4 notes per bow and arpeggios 3 notes per bow. VIOLA SCALES HERE
- Cello: C, G, D, F major 3 octaves; A, B-flat Major 2 octaves; any melodic minor of the student’s choice 3 octaves. Slur scales 4 notes per bow and arpeggios 3 notes per bow. CELLO SCALES HERE
- Bass: C, D, B-flat major 1 octave; F, G, A major 2 octaves; any melodic minor of the student’s choice 2 octaves. Slur scales 2 notes per bow and arpeggios separate bows. BASS SCALES HERE:
- The sight-reading selections will be 8 measures in length and grade IV in difficulty level. New selections will be composed specifically for auditions each year. Each student will be allowed a 30 second preview period during which he/she may finger, air-bow, etc. but may not play the instrument. The judges will use a metronome to provide the correct tempo before the preparatory period begins, and again before the student begins to play. The metronome will not be used during the preview period or during the sight-reading performance.
- Required Solo: The solos are on a 4-year rotation.
2017-18 Concerto No. 23 in G Major, 1st mvt, solo entrance to first tutti, Viotti
2018-19 Sonata No. 4, 2nd mvt, "Allegro," Handel
2019-20 Concerto No. 4, 1st mvt, Seitz
2020-21 Concerto in A Minor, 1st mvt, J. S. Bach
2017-18 Viola Concerto, 1st and 2nd mvts, Telemann- The edition used must include the treble clef passage at the end of the 2nd mvt.
2018-19 Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1, Courante & Minuets, J. S. Bach
2019-20 Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 1, 3rd mvt, Stamitz, ed. Meyer, International
2020-21 Processional, from Meditation and Processional, Bloch
2017-18 Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1, Courante, J. S. Bach
2018-19 Sonata No. 3 in A minor, 2nd mvt, from Six Sonatas for the Cello, Vivaldi
2019-20 Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 3, 1st and 2nd Bouree, J. S. Bach
2020-21 Sonata No. 1 in B-flat major, 1st and 2nd mvts, from Six Sonatas for the Cello,
2017-18 Etude No. 17, from 30 Etudes for the String Bass Player, Simandl
2018-19 Gavotte, Bach/Zimmerman
2019-20 Sonata No. 2, 2nd mvt, Marcello- Schirmer edition preferred
2020-21 Sonata No. 5, 2nd mvt, Vivaldi
- Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion
- All Regional Orchestra wind/brass/percussion scale and solo requirements shall be the same as the current “Senior High All-State 11th and 12th Grade Band” audition requirements. These requirements are posted at the NCMEA Band Section website at www.ncbandmasters.org.